Saturday, August 28, 2010

Proseuche Devotions: Day 3


Proseuche Devotions
Daily Word
. . . you are a shield around me, O LORD;
you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.

To the LORD I cry aloud,
and he answers me from his holy hill.
–Psalm 3:3-4, NIV
            Read Psalm 3 (NASB, NIV)  
   Listen to Psalm 3 (NASB, NIV)

In reply Jesus declared,
“I tell you the truth,
no one can see the kingdom of God
unless he is born again.”

“How can a man be born when he is old?” Nicodemus asked.
“Surely he cannot enter a second time
into his mother's womb to be born!"

Jesus answered,
“I tell you the truth,
no one can enter the kingdom of God
unless he is born of water and the Spirit.
Flesh gives birth to flesh,
but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.”
–John 2:3-5
            Read John 3 (NASB, NIV)           
   Listen to John 3 (NASB, NIV)

Meditation
            Today with Oswald Chambers

Prayer
Pray, then, in this way:
         'Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.  And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen. –Matthew 6:9-13

            Find a moment of silence and reflect on the words, 
                  “hallowed be your name.”

The original Greek word for “hallowed” is agiazo, here meaning, “Make holy!”  The English word “hallow” means to “honor as holy.”
Something that is holy is set apart for use by God, sacred. 
How can you “make” God’s name holy in your heart, mind, and mouth?

Action
            Start a prayer journal for your fast. 
                        Each time you write down a prayer,
                        put a date next to it and when it is answered,
                        also record that date. 
Have you called your prayer partner? 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I just prayed about this topic earlier today and then I read the Oswald Chambers Devotion in Melisa's writing for today. I have read this devotion for many years and today this really jumped out at me:

"To say that “prayer changes things” is not as close to the truth as saying, “Prayer changes me and then I change things.” God has established things so that prayer, on the basis of redemption, changes the way a person looks at things. Prayer is not a matter of changing things externally, but one of working miracles in a person’s inner nature."

Amen

Jennifer said...

I find it interesting that it says "hallowed be Your name" rather than "make me holy". We are changed by focusing on His Holiness and seeking His name to be made holy rather than focusing on trying to make oursevles holy.

Diane aka: The Bakers Wife said...

I'm starting day 3 today. Also, starting my prayer journal. I've never done one before, so I will journal my prayer and my thoughts on a daily basics. Any suggestions??
Food Thought: I had some anaheim chilies I need to use, so I decided to make chile rellenos today. Perfect for South Beach and Melisa's plan. Anaheim chilies, cheese, egg, and oil. Also if your needing a snack I thought about deviled eggs (aka angel eggs) maybe adding some curry powder for a twist. Eggs, mustard, mayo, salt, pepper, spice of choice (paprika or curry). sounds yummy and I can make ahead for the next few days. I liked the last posting that prayer is about "working miracles in ones inner nature". Very well said..thank you

Janet Werner said...

Diane, you will be blessed by journaling. There's something special about putting your thoughts and feelings, and what God shows you, in writing. And when you go back and read it, even if it's just a week later, you are blessed again!