Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Proseuche Plan: What is Best For You?

So here is the "thing": the Proseuche Plan is not about any particular way to eat, per se, but it is a spiritual journey.  Yesterday we talked about how the Greek word for prayer is "proseuche," giving us our theme word.  This "Prayer Plan" is meant to help you focus on God through a fast.  Some fasts require giving up all food, but others allow you to eat certain foods.  Daniel gave up meat and Ezekiel ate only a grain mixture.  In our world, meat is not a luxury item, as it was then.  They gave up "rich" foods to eat healthy basic foods.  This fast is about giving up our luxurious toxins to focus on eating healthy foods.  For instance, diet soda, chocolate covered protein bars, and whole grain bread might be included in the “diet” sections of some stores; however, the caffeine, sugar, and preservatives are all still present. 
            Today, I am going to present a meal plan that I created after trying many different diets.  I have done Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, the Blood Type Diet, Somersizing, the Maker’s Diet, the South Beach Diet, the Rainbow Diet, the Lemonade Diet, and some weird powder I spent too much money for.  Not to mention starving myself, over-eating, and purging, which was addictive and counter-productive.  So you can say, that just like you, I have “tried it all,” or at least, “I tried a lot.”  My plan comes from a mixture of the plans that worked best for me.  And here is the important part . . . this is the plan that worked best for me.  While the Blood Type Diet did nothing for me, it was great for a few friends of mine who rave about it.  The Lemonade Diet had me in bed unable to move by the end of the day, but again another three friends who love it. Calorie counting plans triggered my eating disorder when I was young, though they work great for my mother.  For me, the only way to feel great (and look great) was by creating a combination of the Maker’s Diet, South Beach Diet, and to some extent, Somersizing.  So here is my big point:  my plan might work great for you too, but in the Proseuche Plan, it’s not so much about which plan you pick, as it is that you choose a healthy plan and stick to it.  The idea is to free ourselves from toxins and unhealthy substances, offering this time of purification up to God as a fast.
            As a Christian speaker, I often have events to plan for.  When I have an event coming up in six to nine months, I will often give up chocolate as a fast.  Recently I had an event in three months and I gave up chocolate and all foods containing yeast.  Right now, I have some big things happening in my life and I feel the need to draw closer to God for direction, so I will do my six-week plan.  The great thing about this plan, is that in the past I was able to maintain it for several years afterwards.  So it was not just a fad, but a healthy lifestyle.  My prayer for you is that you would choose a meal plan that is not only healthy for you over the next six weeks, but also over a lifetime. 
            What will you choose to do for your Proseuche Plan?

No comments: